By-law Enforcement

The by-laws in Owen Sound help establish the guidelines for people and activities in the City. By-law Enforcement Officers respond to complaints based on priority and the priority list may change based on Officer discretion.

By-law Enforcement Officers help inform people of the rules and also respond to complaints in accordance with the By-law Enforcement Policy.

For general questions or to make a complaint, please complete the By-law Complaint or Question Form.

See below for details about other service areas and how to appeal a Property Standards Order.

Animal Control

Animal Control enforces Dog and Cat By-laws within the City of Owen Sound. Please contact Animal Control at 519-372-1123 for concerns of this nature.

Visit our Animal Services page for more information about:

  • Keeping pets in the City;
  • Wild animals; and
  • The Owen Sound Animal Shelter.


Visit our Building Division page or contact a building official for questions about building, including fences, swimming pools and permits.


Visit our Fire Department's website or contact fire prevention officers for questions about open air burning, fireworks and fire safety. To report a fire, call 911.

Noise By-law Exemption Request

The City of Owen Sound has a Noise Control By-law. Any person may apply for an exemption to the Noise By-law by completing a Noise By-law Exemption Request Form and submitting the $125 exemption processing fee. Payment can be made via cash, cheque, debit, or credit card.

Completed requests with payment can be submitted to:

City Clerk
City of Owen Sound
808 2nd Avenue East
Owen Sound, ON N4K 2H4

Once a request has been received, it is circulated to staff for comments as well as notice provided to the neighbours within 60 metres of the location. Once comments are received, a staff report is presented to Council for consideration. 

After Council has made its decision, the City Clerk will follow up with the applicant and advise them of Council's decision. Owen Sound Police Services will be advised if the exemption request is approved so that they are aware in case they receive any complaints.


Visit the Parking page for questions about parking downtown or to file a complaint.

To make a parking complaint in any other area in the City, please contact By-law Enforcement.


Visit the Owen Sound Police Services website for police services or for urgent after hours by-law complaints. Call 911 in an emergency.

Owen Sound Police Services are responsible for licencing and regulating:

  • Escort Services
  • Adult Entertainment Establishments
  • Body Rub, Tattoo and Piercing Establishments
  • Salvage Shops, Salvage Yards, Second Hand Goods Shops and Dealers
  • Taxis and Vehicles for Hire
  • Trespassing

Public Health

Contact the Grey Bruce Public Health Unit for questions about public health inspections and the enforcement of provincial public health laws, including:

  • Tobacco enforcement;
  • Food and water safety; and
  • Health hazards and disease control.

For any COVID-19 related inquiries (including general questions, concerns, resources, or business operation inquiries), please contact Public Health at 519-376-9420.

Property Standards Appeal

In order to appeal a Property Standards Order, a Notice of Appeal form needs to be submitted to the Secretary of the Property Standards Committee, on or before the final date for appeal, with a copy of the Order and applicable appeal fee.  An Appeal Guide has been created which outlines the entire appeal process and provides contact information for assistance.

Snow Removal

Owen Sound can experience significant snowfall in the winter months. The City clears snow from City-owned roads, sidewalks, and parking lots; however, the City does not enforce snow removal on private properties.

For further information on snow removal, visit our Winter Maintenance webpage.

For after-hour complaints regarding parking or noise, please contact Owen Sound Police Services.

Contact Us