Skip to main content Skip to footer

Household Hazardous Waste

Household Hazardous Waste

This service is open to residents of:

  • City of Owen Sound
  • Township of Chatsworth
  • Municipality of Meaford
  • Township of Georgian Bluffs
  • Municipality of Grey Highlands

All residents attending the Household Hazardous Waste facility must bring valid ID indicating their home address from the townships listed above.  Attendees must also complete the Hazardous Waste Form here.

Got items to dispose of outside of Household Hazardous Waste events?

RPRA’s ‘Where to Recycle’ map displays locations across Ontario where you can drop off used materials to be recycled, such as batteries, electronics, household hazardous waste, lighting and tires, for free. Materials collected at these locations are reused, refurbished, recycled, or properly disposed of to help keep them out of landfill, recover valuable resources and protect our environment.  Just add your location, the distance you're willing to travel and type of material you'd like to recycle.

Household Hazardous Waste includes materials that are corrosive, oxidizing, flammable or poisonous. 

Acceptable items include: 

  • Aerosol cans (full or partially full)
  • Antifreeze
  • Batteries 
  • Bleach
  • Brake fluid
  • Cosmetics and beauty products
  • Detergents
  • Disinfectants
  • Fertilizers
  • Gasoline (containers brought to the depot will not be returned)
  • Fluorescent tubes and CFL bulbs (broken ones are not accepted)
  • Glues and adhesives
  • Household cleaners (includes oven, drain, floor, glass and toilet cleaners)
  • Hydrogen peroxide
  • Mercury containing items
  • Mildew remover
  • Mothballs
  • Motor oil
  • Oil filters
  • Paints (liquid and solid)
  • Paint thinner and varnish remover
  • Pesticides, insecticides and herbicides
  • Pool chemicals
  • Propane tanks
  • Solvents
  • Pharmaceuticals
  • Prescription medicines
  • Waxes
  • Windshield washer fluid

Unacceptable items include:

  • Materials containing PCBs (e.g. fluorescent light ballasts)
  • Infectious or medical wastes (old syringes)
  • Radioactive wastes (e.g. smoke detectors)
  • Explosives, ammunition or flares
    • If you have any of the items listed above, please contact your local police branch for further disposal information.  
  • Broken or leaking containers
  • Unidentified wastes
  • Empty containers, recycling and garbage
  • Empty paint cans
  • Material generated by farms, industrial, commercial and institutional sources

All residents visiting the Household Hazardous Waste facility are required to fill out the form below.

Hazardous Waste Report Form

The City is prohibited by law from accepting hazardous waste at any other time.  Household hazardous waste cannot be transported on City buses.  Carpooling with neighbours is encouraged.

City of Owen Sound Public Works Building
1900 20th Street East
Owen Sound, ON N4K 5N6

Open 9:00am to 2:00pm on the following Saturdays:

2024 Dates:

  • Saturday, April 20
  • Saturday, May 11
  • Saturday, June 15
  • Saturday, July 13
  • Saturday, August 17
  • Saturday, September 14
  • Saturday, October 5
  • Saturday, October 19

Contact Us

808 2nd Avenue East,
Owen Sound, ON
N4K 2H4
Phone: 519-376-1440
Email us

Sign up for City news to your inbox!

Stay up to date on the city's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our news posts.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.