Skip to main content Skip to footer

Water Billing and Utilities

Water distribution and wastewater treatment services are funded through user fees; no tax dollars are collected to provide City water services.  See more details and frequently asked questions about water billing below.

In consideration of staff report CR-22-058 respecting Water and Wastewater Rates for 2023-2024, Council has approved on June 12, 2023 that the water rates will increase by 8% over the 2022-2023 water rates.

2024-2025 Water and Wastewater Rates:
Rates are based on the size of property water meters and are effective as of July 1, 2024.

Water Meter Diameter

Monthly Service Charge

15 mm or 5/8 in

$  30.38

18 mm or 3/4 in

$  37.00

25 mm or 1 in

$  47.87

38 mm or 1 1/2 in

$  69.89

50 mm or 2  in

$  136.19

75 mm or 3  in

$  223.80

100 mm or 4  in

$  333.69

150 mm or 6  in

$  443.58

200 mm or 8  in

$  663.37

Monthly Water Consumption Charges:

Block #



Block limit per month

 110 m


Rate per M3



Note:  1 M3 (cubic meter) = 220 gallons (or 1,000 litres)

All rates shown are for properties within the boundaries of the City of Owen Sound. Rates for properties outside the City of Owen Sound boundaries are double the amounts shown above. The monthly service charge plus applicable wastewater charges will constitute a minimum bill during a month without water consumption.

Wastewater Charges:

The wastewater rate is 124% of the customer's total water charges (water consumption charge plus water service charge).

Click here to view a printable version of our 2024 water/wastewater rates.

The City of Owen Sound has a number of options available to our customers for payment of your water bill:

  • In person: At City Hall during normal business hours. We accept payment by cheque, cash, or debit.

  • Cheques: Cheques may be dropped in the after-hours drop box located at the front door of City Hall - please include the detachable portion of your bill. We recommend that you place your cheque in a sealed envelope with 'water billing' written upon it. Please do not place cash in the drop box.

  • At your bank or trust company: Pay at the teller or through an ATM. You are responsible to pay any service charges levied by them. Please take the entire bill with you.

  • Internet/telephone banking: Most financial institutions offer the "City of Owen Sound" or "Owen Sound City" as one of their payments. Be sure to pick "Water" and not taxes to ensure that your payment is applied to the correct account.

  • Mail: You may mail your cheque to City Hall - please include the detachable portion of the bill.
    City of Owen Sound - Water Billing Department 
    808 2nd Ave East
    Owen Sound, ON
    N4K 2H4
  • Pre-authorized payment (PAD) plan: Payments are automatically deducted from your bank account on the due date of each bill.

    Set up a pre-authorized debit plan to pay your Water Bill conveniently and efficiently. Payments are automatically deducted from your bank account on the due date of each bill. Residents are provided the convenient option to either:

    Returned payments (i.e. NSF) are subject to a $45.00 charge as well as penalty charges. 

    To be eligible to enroll in any of our PAD plans, there must be no outstanding arrears on your water account.

    Pre-authorized payment Cancellation

    If you would like to end your enrollment in our pre-authorized debit plan for water billing, please return the completed
    Pre-Authorization Cancellation form to us at least 10 days prior to your next due date.

    Banking Information Change

    If you are currently enrolled in our pre-authorized debit plan and wish to update your banking information, 
    Banking information Change Request form must be submitted along with a new void cheque.

  • Credit card: Payments may be completed through Paymentus. This secure, third-party online payment provider accepts Visa, Mastercard and American Express for a convenience fee.
    Online: Paymentus 
  • Over the phone: 1-888-253-8916Guidelines:
    • There is a processing fee of 2.5% for credit card transactions.
    • The maximum payment is $5,000.00 per transaction. Multiple payments can be made as separate transactions toward your account.
    • Please allow up to two business days for processing.
    • You will receive an e-mail confirmation of payment for online payments or a confirmation number by phone.
    • You will need your 11-digit water account number to make a payment.

Payment must be received at City Hall by the due date to avoid penalty. A late payment charge of 1.5% (18% per annum) is calculated on the amount outstanding and will be added to the water utility account on the 15th of each month after the due date, and on the 15th of each month thereafter. 

For more information, questions, or comments please contact our Utilities Collection Clerk at 519-376-4440 ext. 1243 or

Water billing in the City of Owen Sound is billed every three months.

To provide clarity and transparency, we have designed a water bill template offering an explanation of the bill structure.
See sample bill.

See the image below for a brief overview of the charges on your water bill:

Image of sample water bill

Each water bill covers a three-month (quarterly) period, and payments are due 21 days after the bill is issued.

The first three digits of your water bill (utility) account indicate when your water meter will be read.  For account number 007.009221.00, the 007 indicates that your meter will be read on cycle 7.

Refer to our Water Billing Cycle Map here to find out the meter read dates and due dates for your cycle. 

Paperless billing offers a convenient, timely, effective, and environmentally friendly way to receive your bills. These e-bills will look the same as your paper copy, and your billing cycle will remain the same. 

If you would like to enroll, please complete the paperless billing enrolment form. You will no longer receive a paper copy of your bill. 

Water billing accounts are attached to the property, not the customer.  This means, if you move, your account does not move with you.  You will be issued a new account number with your new property.

Below are some frequently asked questions regarding moving houses and water bills.  More info can be found in the linked
Property Tax and Water Billing Home Owner Information Package.

If you are purchasing or selling a property within Owen Sound, please complete the Property Sale/Purchase Form.  Please advise us of your upcoming move at least 14 days prior to the closing date.

I have bought an existing home, how do I sign up for water?

Property owners may call the Utilities Collection Clerk at 519-376-4440 ex 1243 or email at least 14 days prior to the closing date to provide the legal names of the owners, mailing or email address for the water bill, and a phone number we may contact you at. 

I have sold my home, what do I need to do?

Call the water billing department at 519-376-4440 ex. 1243 or email to provide your closing date and forwarding address/email address at least 14 days prior to closing.

Your final or new water bill will be mailed to you at the forwarding address or email address approximately one week after receiving the final reading.  Our Water Meter reader will go to your home the day before or day of the closing date to obtain a reading. If no reading is obtained from either you or the new owner, we will finalize the account with an estimated reading.

What if the home I am purchasing will be rented to tenants? Who is responsible for the water?

billing designate form must be signed between the landlord and tenant(s) at least 14 days prior to closing. The billing designate form allows the City of Owen Sound to activate a water billing account in a tenant’s name for the period they will be residing at the property.

Failure to provide the water billing department with a completed billing designate form will result in the water billing account being left in the landlord’s name.

Tenant(s) are responsible for the payment of water (unless otherwise agreed upon between the landlord and tenant) and are subject to disconnection if the water account falls into six-month arrears.

My water bills are paid by automatic withdrawal from my bank. Will the pre-authorized payment plan be transferred from my old home’s water account to my new home’s water account?

If you are moving to a new Owen Sound property and wish to remain on the City's pre-authorized withdrawal program, please complete the Pre-Authorized Debit (PAD) form to re-enroll.

If you have Owen Sound water billing payments set up through your bank, you'll need to update your banking information to your new eleven-digit water account number (and remove your old water account if applicable).

How do I change the address my water bills are mailed to?

Do you own property in Owen Sound, but would like your water bill to be mailed to an alternative address? 
Please fill out a Mailing Address Change Request form. 

Or switch to paperless billing by completing the paperless billing enrolment form here. You will no longer receive a paper copy of your bill.

How can I update the name(s) on my water account?

Would you like to add, remove, or change a name on your water bill?

Please fill out and return the completed Water Billing Name Change Request Form.  

If you are a tenant moving into a new residence in the City of Owen Sound, please fill out a billing designate form (not a water billing name change request form). 

If you are a tenant, you and your landlord can complete and sign a billing designate form. A billing designate form authorizes the City of Owen Sound to activate a water billing account in a tenant's name for the period that they will be residing at a rental property.

A billing designate form must be signed and completed in its entirety before a new water billing account will be opened. 
Failure to do so will delay the process of transferring a water account into the tenant's name(s).

You may either mail, email, or drop-off in person the completed form at least 14 business days prior to the move-in date.

*For instructions on how to add a digital signature, please read our digital signature instruction sheet.

Owners of properties occupied by Residential and Commercial Tenants requesting services with the City will be asked to:

  • Ensure the Billing Designate Application is completed in full and received by the city at least five (5) business days prior to the occupancy date.
  • Keep the City advised of any changes to the information listed on the Billing Designate Application.
  • In the event that there is only one water meter for multiple rental units or that a meter is inaccessible at a property the billing account must be an owner-held account.

How can I conserve water?

  1. Be aware of the amount of water you use:
    One cubic metre (1 M3) of water is equal to 1,000 litres of water (or 220 gallons).
    One drip per second wastes 10 M3 or 10,000 litres of water per year.
  2. In a bathroom:
    - A single toilet accounts for 1/3 of water used in most homes!
    - Leaking toilets can be silent.  If a drop of food colouring in the tank seeps into the bowl, there is a leak.
    - Running water while brushing teeth wastes 4 M3 or 4,000 litres of water per year.
    - Install low-pressure toilets, water-saving shower heads, and low-flow faucet aerators.
  3. In the kitchen and laundry rooms:
    - Replace washers in faucets every few years, especially if you live in an older home.  You can't always hear a faucet leaking.
    - Run only full loads of dishes or laundry.
  4. Outdoors:
    - Use a rain barrel to collect run-off to water plants.
    - Water your lawn only when required.  A good way to tell if your lawn needs watering is to step on the grass.  If the grass springs back up when you move, it doesn't need water.
    - Fix leaking hoses and winterize outdoor taps.
    - Wash your car with a pail of water and rise with a trigger hose nozzle.
    - Add a layer of mulch around trees and plants.  Mulch slows evaporation, retaining moisture and discouraging weed growth.
    - Report water leaks or broken pipes.

How can I detect water leaks and what if they affect my water bill?

If you have a water leak that goes undetected, your water use will increase, leading to higher consumption charges, and, ultimately, higher water bills. 

To help avoid such instances, we have created a useful water leak detection guide for your reference. 

Even a small drip can have a huge impact on your water bill. To estimate how much water is wasted on a daily/monthly/yearly basis in your household, visit (please note: this is for estimation purposes only).

Customers may seek an adjustment to an unusually high water bill due to an undetected leak that has been fixed. 
We will offer a one-time leak adjustment per property if the criteria below are met: 

  • An adjustment will be considered after all leaks have been repaired and verified with an actual meter reading;
  • Adjustment shall not be considered for disputed bills that are over six months old;
  • Payment equivalent to a normal usage bill is required during the review process to keep your account current;
  • This form must be completed and returned within twenty-one (21) days after receiving the unusually high water bill.

For instructions and to fill out the form, please download our Leak Adjustment Form.

How can I update the name(s) on my water account?

Would you like to add, remove, or change a name on your water bill?

Please fill out and return the completed Water Billing Name Change Request Form.  

If you are a tenant moving into a new residence in the City of Owen Sound, please fill out a billing designate form (not a water billing name change request form).

We're using less water but paying more - why?

The City’s water and wastewater systems are highly capital-intensive, thus the majority of the costs required to maintain this infrastructure are fixed. Therefore, the City's costs do not decrease based on the amount of water conserved. If the majority of the City’s costs remain fixed and consumption decreases, rates will increase (on a per-unit basis).

What infrastructure does the City maintain, associated with water and wastewater?

- 300 kilometres of pipes

- 11 pressure-reducing chambers

- 6 pressure zones

- 2 water pumping stations

- 8 wastewater pumping stations

- 1 water reservoir

- 1 water treatment plant

- 1 wastewater treatment plant

- 663 fire hydrants

The City of Owen Sound's Water and Wastewater Treatment Plants are located on the eastern shore in Owen Sound, on 3rd Avenue East, just north of the Bayshore Community Centre.  

Wastewater is thoroughly treated to ensure it is safe for the public's health and the environment. For a detailed description of each treatment stage, download our wastewater treatment brochure: The City of Owen Sound's Wastewater Treatment Process.

Why does the City flush water from fire hydrants?

Annual hydrant flushing takes place between May and September. This practice:

- Verifies proper operation of the hydrant

- Evaluates flow level availability to the hydrant

- Verifies the quality of water being sent to residential water customers

- Removes mineral and sediment buildup from water mains

Can we capture the water flushed from hydrants for re-use?

Current resources are not set up for collection of water being pumped out of hydrants for re-use throughout the City (watering gardens, etc.)

What is a cubic metre?

Water consumption is read in cubic metres. Every one cubic metre is equal to 1,000 litres - or 220 gallons - of water.

Owen Sound City Hall

808 2nd Avenue East

Owen Sound, ON


Phone: 519-376-4440 ext. 1243

Contact Us

Water Billing 
808 2nd Ave E, 
Owen Sound, ON N4K 2H4
519-376-1440 ext. 1243

Contact Us

808 2nd Avenue East,
Owen Sound, ON
N4K 2H4
Phone: 519-376-1440
Email us

Sign up for City news to your inbox!

Stay up to date on the city's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our news posts.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.