Skip to main content Skip to footer

By-law Enforcement

The by-laws in Owen Sound help establish the guidelines for people and activities in the City. By-law Enforcement Officers respond to complaints based on priority and the priority list may change based on Officer discretion.

By-law Enforcement Officers help inform people of the rules and also respond to complaints in accordance with the By-law Enforcement Policy.

For general questions or to make a complaint, please complete the By-law Complaint or Question Form.

Please see below for details about other service areas and how to appeal a Property Standards Order.

Animal Control Officers enforce Dog and Cat By-laws within the City of Owen Sound. Please contact the Owen Sound Animal Shelter at 519-372-1123 or for concerns of this nature.

Visit our Animal Services page for more information about:

  • Keeping pets in the City;
  • Wild animals; and
  • Owen Sound Animal Shelter.

Visit our Building and Renovating webpage or contact a building official for questions about building, including fences, swimming pools, and permits.

Visit our Owen Sound Fire and Emergency Services website or contact Fire Prevention Officers for questions about open air burning, fireworks, and fire safety. To report a fire, call 911.

The City of Owen Sound has a Noise Control By-law. Any person may apply for an exemption to the Noise By-law by completing a Noise By-law Exemption Request Form and submitting the $125 exemption processing fee. Payment can be made via cash, cheque, debit, or credit card.

Completed requests with payment can be submitted to:

City Clerk
City of Owen Sound
808 2nd Avenue East
Owen Sound, ON N4K 2H4

Once a request has been received, it is circulated to staff for comments as well as notice provided to the neighbours within 60 metres of the location. Once comments are received, a staff report is presented to Council for consideration. 

After Council has made its decision, the City Clerk will follow up with the applicant and advise them of Council's decision. The Owen Sound Police Service will be advised if the exemption request is approved so that they are aware in case they receive any complaints.

Visit the Parking webpage for questions about parking in the River District or to file a complaint.

To make a parking complaint in any other area in the City, please contact By-law Enforcement.

Visit the Owen Sound Police Service website for police services or for urgent after hours by-law complaints. Call 911 in an emergency.

Owen Sound Police Service is responsible for licencing and regulating:

  • Escort Services
  • Adult Entertainment Establishments
  • Body Rub, Tattoo, and Piercing Establishments
  • Salvage Shops, Salvage Yards, Second Hand Goods Shops, and Dealers
  • Taxis and Vehicles for Hire
  • Trespassing

Contact the Grey Bruce Public Health Unit for questions about public health inspections and the enforcement of provincial public health laws, including:

  • Tobacco enforcement;
  • Food and water safety; and
  • Health hazards and disease control.

In order to appeal a Property Standards Order, a Notice of Appeal form needs to be submitted to the Secretary of the Property Standards Committee, on or before the final date for appeal, with a copy of the Order and applicable appeal fee.

The Property Standards Committee Procedure outlines the appeal process and the subsequent proceedings of the Property Standards Committee.

Owen Sound can experience significant snowfall in the winter months. The City clears snow from City-owned roads, sidewalks, and parking lots; however, the City does not enforce snow removal on private properties.

For further information on snow removal, visit our Winter Maintenance webpage.

For after-hour complaints regarding parking or noise, please contact the Owen Sound Police Service.

Sign up for City news to your inbox!

Stay up to date on the city's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our news posts.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.