Skip to main content Skip to footer

Unattended Cooking Causes Fire in Multi-Unit Apartment Building

Owen Sound Fire and Emergency Services quickly responded to a working fire in an apartment building on Saturday afternoon.  

Responding first, second, and third alarm crews contained the fire to the unit of origin. The Intertownship Fire Department was on scene with the Air Light truck and crew members to assist. The multi-unit building located at 248 7th Ave East contains 20 dwelling units and is operated by Grey County Housing.  All units were evacuated at the time of the fire, and Grey County Housing staff was on scene to assist the displaced residents. All residents displaced as a result of the fire are being accommodated by Grey County housing.

The fire started in the kitchen area and spread to the rest of the unit, causing significant damage. The cause of the fire is due to unattended cooking. There is no damage estimate at this time.

For more information, please contact Doug McEwen, Fire Prevention Inspector at 519-376-2512 ext. 2226 or email to


“Never leave cooking on the stovetop or in the oven unattended. Keep cooking areas clean and clear of combustibles, and if you have to leave, make sure all appliances are turned off.”

-     Phil Eagleson, Owen Sound Fire Chief 

Quick Facts:

If a fire occurs in your apartment, immediately leave your apartment, and call 911 from a safe location.  When leaving your apartment, please ensure your apartment door is closed to assist in containing the fire and protect other occupants of the building.



Sign up for City news to your inbox!

Stay up to date on the city's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our news posts.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.