Skip to main content Skip to footer

Beat the Silent Killer: Prevent Carbon Monoxide in Your Home

Carbon Monoxide week

Ontario’s Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week runs from November 1-7, and the?Owen Sound Fire and Emergency Servicesremind you that carbon monoxide (CO) alarms must be installed in your home if you have a fuel-burning appliance, fireplace, or an attached garage. 

Fuel-burning appliances can include furnaces, hot water heaters, gas or wood fireplaces, portable fuel-burning heaters and generators, barbeques, stoves, and vehicles. 

If you live in a condominium or apartment building with a service room, CO alarms must be installed in the service room and adjacent to each sleeping area of all homes above, below, and beside the service room. In condominium or apartment buildings that have a garage, CO alarms must be installed adjacent to each sleeping area of all homes above, below, and beside the garage. 

Don’t be confused by the sound of your CO alarm’s low-battery warning. Follow your CO alarm manufacturer’s instructions so you know the difference between the low-battery warning, the “end-of-life” warning, and the alarm alerting you to the presence of CO in your home. 

For more information, please contact Greg Nicol, Fire Prevention Officer at 519-376-4440 ext. 2243 or email


“In Ontario, more than 65 per cent of injuries and deaths from CO occur in the home. Please ensure all fuel-burning appliances are inspected by a registered contractor. Visit? find a registered contractor near you.” 

– Fire Chief Phil Eagleson 

Quick Facts:  



Contact Us

808 2nd Avenue East,
Owen Sound, ON
N4K 2H4
Phone: 519-376-1440
Email us

Sign up for City news to your inbox!

Stay up to date on the city's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our news posts.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.