The Planning Division is a part of the Community Services Department with offices on the 1st floor of City Hall. The Planning Division administers the City’s Official Plan, Zoning By-law and the development approvals process, and is responsible for the distribution of information to landowners, the development industry, and the general public with respect to community growth and development. Staff in the Planning Division work closely with staff in Building, Engineering Services, and Economic Development to ensure timely processing of applicationsand response to inquiries.
- Review and consultation regarding Planning Act applications, including:
- Site plan control,
- Official Plan and Zoning By-law amendments,
- Subdivision and condominium applications and approvals.
- Interpretation and administration of the Official Plan and the Zoning By-law.
- Response to property inquiries.
- Administration of the Community Improvement Plan, including Façade and Structural Improvement Program.
- Heritage planning, including the Heritage Register Listing and designation of properties under the Ontario Heritage Act.
- Support to the Community Planning & Heritage Advisory Committee.
- Support to the Committee of Adjustment - Applications for Minor Variances and Severances to properties as well as hearings related to the Property Standards By-law, Court of Revision (Local Improvements), Line Fences Act, and to hear appeals to Dog Muzzling Orders.
Please note that the application and supporting information and material can be viewed at the Planning Division, City Hall during regular business hours or at other times by appointment. Written comments or requests for notice of the decision of the City in respect of the proposal should be directed to the City Council for the Corporation of the City of Owen Sound, c/o Kristen Van Alphen, City Clerk, 808 2nd Avenue East, Owen Sound, ON, N4K 2H4. For more information please contact the Planning Division.