It is the legislative duty of Council to make the final decision on all matters that affect the City; the advisory committee’s role is to obtain public input and provide recommendations and advice to Council on matters that relate to the committee’s mandate and responsibilities and to assist Council in achieving the City’s vision, goals and objectives.
To advise Council on the policies, services and initiatives delivered by the Economic Development and Tourism Division including matters related to:
- Economic and business development
- Business investment retention and attraction
- Small business support and promotion
- Tourism promotion, visitor services and product development
- Provide recommendations and advice to Council considering strategies, plans, staff reports, best practices and public feedback, including hosting public meetings or open houses as directed by Council.
- Provide advice to Council on matters relating to the implementation of the Strategic Plan, specifically in the areas of economic development, tourism, and the small business enterprise centre.
- Consult and learn from community and business leaders as to their successes, opportunities and challenges, and how this may impact the short and long term success of the local economy.
- Based on staff reports track on-going economic indicators as to the overall performance of the local economy in all areas of economic development, including the specific areas of tourism, and the Business Enterprise Centre.
- Provide recommendations and advice to Council on special projects, new programs, or funding opportunities related to priority areas in the strategic plan (ie: downtown revitalization project),
- Recommend approval of an annual work plan for staff that is consistent with the Strategic Plan and meets the objectives of the annual budget as well as review and help prioritize the 5 year capital budget.
Key Reference Documents:
- Municipal Act, 2001
- Owen Sound 2015 Strategic Plan
- Official Plan
- Economic Development Strategy
- Business Enterprise Center Business Plan
- Downtown and Harbourfront Master Plan Strategy
- Community Improvement Plan & associated guidelines and applications