Civil Marriages

The City of Owen Sound is pleased to provide civil marriage services at a location, date and time of your choice.
Our Civil Marriage Information Pamphlet contains information about the services and fees associated with civil marriages.

Booking a Civil Marriage

  1. Call the Clerk's Office at 519-376-4440 ext. 1268 or email at for further information or to book a civil marriage. City facilities may be booked by calling Service Owen Sound at 519-376-1440.
  2. Pay the required fees by debit/credit/cash/cheque payable to the City of Owen Sound prior to the day of the ceremony.

Wedding Ceremonies

There are several ceremonies that couples may choose from or they can mix and match several different ceremonies together. Couples may also create their own unique ceremony. We can also include rose ceremonies, sand ceremonies or unity candle celebrations as a part of your ceremony.

Although couples can create a special marriage ceremony that is unique to them, the provincial government sets out certain legal requirements for marriage ceremonies.

We can perform your marriage ceremony at a location of your choice. There are many beautiful City venues to host a wedding. You can book these venues by calling Service Owen Sound at 519-376-1440.

Who can Perform my Marriage?

The City has a list of trained officiants who can legally perform your marriage.

Couples who wish to have a friend or relative perform their wedding ceremony should be aware of the legal marriage ceremony requirements in Ontario. Once a couple has been legally married by a registered religious official or civil marriage officiant as set out by the province, couples can then create their own 'renewal of vows ceremony' and have it performed by a person of their choice in front of family and friends.

Hosting a Wedding on your own Property

If you are hosting a wedding on your own property, please be aware of information as it pertains to setting up tents, specific parking restrictions, the noise by-law, and the serving of alcohol on private property for special events. 
Marriages must be held in accordance with provincial regulations regarding COVID-19 restrictions.

Getting Married Outside of Ontario

Every country has their own rules, requirements, and fees for getting married. Check with the Vital Statistics Office in the province or territory in Canada where you wish to get married. If you plan to get married outside of the Country, check with the Canadian representative in the country you wish to get married in. When you get married outside of Ontario, your marriage won't be registered in the province of Ontario. It will be registered in the province or country where you were married.

For information on marriage licences, visit our Applications, Licences, and Permits webpage.

Contact Us