Candidate Information

Nomination Period: 8:30 a.m. on May 2, 2022 to 2:00 p.m. on August 19, 2022
(During Business Hours).

Are you interested in running in the 2022 Election? Find information here for prospective candidates, including how to qualify, key dates, and election regulations.

Please book an appointment to submit nomination papers by contacting, or call 519-370-7340.


You must be eligible to vote in the City of Owen Sound in order to run for a position on City Council. 

On the day you file your nomination, you must be a Canadian citizen aged 18 or older, and qualify as a resident or non-resident elector. 

Download the Candidate Information Package

Council Roles

The City of Owen Sound has one Mayor, one Deputy Mayor and seven Councillors elected to represent ratepayers.

Role of Council Members
The Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing (MMAH) has published the Municipal Councillor's Guide.  This guide provides an overview of the many duties and challenges elected officials at the municipal level face. 

The Mayor in Owen Sound sits on both City Council and County Council.  The MMAH guide is the source of this abbreviated description for the role of head of Council, which in Owen Sound is referred to as the Mayor:

  • to act as the municipality's chief executive officer;
  • to preside over council meetings such that business is carried out both efficiently and effectively;
  • to provide leadership to the council;
  • to provide information/recommendations to council on policies, practices, procedures;
  • to ensure transparency and accountability; and
  • to represent the municipality at official functions.
Deputy Mayor
The Deputy Mayor in Owen Sound sits on both City Council and County Council.  The Deputy Mayor assists the Mayor in carrying out their powers and duties and act in the place of the Mayor when the Mayor is absent, refuses to act or declares a pecuniary interest or when the role is vacant. 

This abbreviated description for the role of Councillor is based on the guide published by MMAH:

  • to represent the public and to consider the well- being and interests of the municipality;
  • to develop and evaluate the policies and programs of the municipality;
  • to determine which services the municipality provides;
  • to maintain the financial integrity of the municipality;
  • to ensure that administrative policies practices are in place to implement the decisions of council; and
  • to ensure the accountability and transparency of the operations of the municipality.
Boards and Committees

The Mayor, Deputy Mayor and Councillors sit as members of a number of boards and committees. As a member of municipal council, you would be required to attend meetings of the boards and committees on which you are a member, and also to attend meetings of the full City Council.


 How do I file Nomination Papers?

Nominations can be filed starting May 2, 2022 and ending August 19, 2022 at 2:00 p.m.

You must file in person at City Hall.  Appointments to submit nomination packages are strongly encouraged.  To make an appointment, please call 519-370-7340 or email

You must complete the following forms:

  • Form 1 - Nomination Paper
  • Form 2 - Endorsement of Nomination - signature of 25 voters supporting the nomination*

You will also need to pay the nomination fee and provide identification. 

In addition to the above-noted legislated forms, candidates are to submit the following forms with their nomination:

  • Form OS11 - Release of Campaign Information
  • Form OS21A (municipal) or B (school board) - Declaration of Qualification
  • Form OS42 - Voters' List Request and Declaration

* The requirement to submit 25 nomination signatures does not apply to candidates running for school board trustee positions.

What are current Nomination Fees?

Currently, provincial legislation requires payment of nomination fees at the time of filing your papers. The fees are $200.00 for the office of Mayor and $100.00 for Councillor and School Board Trustee. Every candidate will be entitled to a refund of the nomination fee if they file their campaign financial statement and, if needed, the auditor’s report by the deadline.

When can I start campaigning?

You can only start campaigning after you file your nomination papers. 

When can I put up signs?

Signs can only be put up within 30 days of Voting Day in the municipal election, October 24, 2022 and in accordance with the City’s Election Sign By-law.  Signs must be removed within 72 hours following Voting Day. A fact sheet is available for the election sign regulations in Owen Sound.

How do I know if I’m disqualified from holding office?

It is the responsibility of each candidate to ensure they are qualified to seek the office for which they are being nominated. If you are unsure, seeking legal advice is recommended. 

Forms and Resources


NOTE: Forms 1-6 are Ministry of Ontario forms.  If you have difficulty opening these forms, please try saving the form and then opening it in Adobe Reader.  If you have difficulty with any other forms, please contact


Contact Us