The City of Owen Sound Leaf and Yard Waste Compost Site is located on the southwest corner of the intersection of 28th Avenue East and 26th Street East , north of 20th Street East . This service is available to residents and commercial enterprises living/operating in the City of Owen Sound at no charge.
Hours of Operation
8:30am to 8:00pm 7 days a week.
Leaf and yard waste is not collected at the curb (even if it has a bag tag) and must be brought to the compost site. We want to remind users to de-bag all material brought to the site unless compostable paper yard waste bags are used. Plastic bags are not accepted, as we strive to produce a high-quality, clean compost product.
All material must be debagged unless compostable paper yard waste bags are used. Plastic bags, kitchen food scraps, garbage and pet waste are NOT accepted. Please remove all garbage from the site on your departure.
- GRASS CLIPPINGS
- GARDEN PLANTS
- SOD (Must be put in the designated bunker near the entrance)
- BRUSH (Must be put in the brush pile and not the yard waste windrow)
- BRANCHES (up to 12 inch diameter and must be put in the brush pile and not the yard waste windrow)
- LOGS less than 12 inches in diameter
Waste may be brought to the site in bushel baskets (or other reusable container) to empty and then reuse or put into RECYCLABLE, BROWN PAPER YARD WASTE BAGS and thrown into the windrow pile. NO PLASTIC BAGS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
NOT Acceptable Material List
- NO BRANCHES/TREE STEMS Greater than 12 inches in diameter
- NO STUMPS/ROOT BALLS
- NO SOIL, RUBBLE, FILL ETC
- NO DIMENSIONAL LUMBER OF ANY TYPE Including wooden pallets
- NO BUILDING MATERIALS OF ANY TYPE
- NO GARBAGE OF ANY TYPE
- NO PLASTIC OF ANY TYPE INCLUDING BAGS
- NO FOOD WASTE
- NO PET WASTE OF ANY TYPE Including No Cat Litter
- NO ASHES
All of the above materials are to be taken to the Miller Waste Transfer Station
For more information please call Public Works: 519-376-4274