Early Morning Kitchen Fire Contained

Posted on Thursday March 09, 2023

Owen Sound Fire and Emergency Services were called to 1195 6th Avenue West shortly after 8am today to a kitchen fire. This was the 2nd call to the building in March of 2023 during the breakfast hours for kitchen fires. The fire that occurred this morning was due to cooking oil catching fire on the stove top. In the attempt to move the pot and extinguish the fire, the occupants suffered burns and were transported to hospital by Grey County EMS. The individuals suffered burns to the arms and feet.

When you are cooking stay in the kitchen. If a fire starts on the stove top do not move the pot. Use a lid or a portable fire extinguisher to extinguish the fire if it is safe to do so. Moving the pot can result in personal injuries or fire spread throughout your home. Cooking with grease is always dangerous and should be avoided.

Residents are reminded that when a fire occurs in their unit that they need to get out of the unit and close the door to prevent smoke and fire spread. Activate the fire alarm and dial 911 from a safe location.


For more information, please contact Greg Nicol, Fire Prevention Officer at 519-376-2512 ext. 2243 or email to gnicol@owensound.ca


Quick Facts:

  • If your smoke or carbon monoxide alarm is not working in a rental unit notify your landlord or the fire department.
  • Cooking with grease should only be done using listed appliances, not in a pot on the stove.
  • In the event of a fire close doors and alert occupants that a fire is occurring.


Contact Us