You are here

Marriage Licence

  1. To obtain a marriage licence, couples must complete and sign the Marriage Licence application form. You can obtain an application form from the clerks department or print from the website.
    Marriage Licence Application.pdf
  2. When the application has been completed and signed by both parties, either of the applicants or both, may bring the application to City Hall to obtain the licence.  Both applicants must provide original proof of identity (a birth certificate or passport) and a second piece of government issued photo identification.  Photocopies are not acceptable.
  3. For applicants divorced within Canada, an original or court-certified copy of the Final Decree, Final Judgment or Certificate of Divorce must be provided at the time of application.
  4. Applicants(s) divorced outside of Canada can pick up a Foreign Divorce Kit from the Clerk’s office.  The Ministry of Government Services requires couples to provide specific documentation before a marriage licence can be issued.
  5. Persons under the age of 16 may not marry. Persons who are 17 or 18 years old require consent from both parents or guardians.  Please request Form 6 from our office.
  6. There are no residency, medical, or citizenship requirements to get married.

  7. Licence Fee: $150 debit/cash/certified cheque payable to "The City of Owen Sound."

  8. A marriage licence can be purchased anywhere in Ontario and applicants may be married anywhere in Ontario.  The licence is valid for a period of three (3) months from the date of issue.

Hours Licences Issued:  The Clerks Department issues marriage licences Monday to   Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Marriage Certificate:  After your marriage, you will receive a ‘Record of Solemnization of Marriage.’  However, you will also need to complete a “Request for Marriage Certificate Form” to obtain a legal marriage certificate. Couples can either mail the completed form to the Office of the Registrar General or complete on line.  It may take between 6-12 weeks to receive. Once received, this is the legal document to prove you are married.  If you choose to amend your last name, you simply present this certificate at offices where you are changing your name (ie. driver’s licence, OHIP).

Civil Marriage Ceremonies

The City of Owen Sound is pleased to offer Civil Marriage Ceremonies at a date, time, and location of your choice.  For further information, please contact the Clerk’s Department at 519-376-1440.  Civil ceremonies are no longer performed by the Justice of the Peace.



Website by the City of Owen Sound | Website Policy