It is the duty of the Council to make the final decisions on all matters that affect the city. The Operations Committee’s role is to obtain public input and to provide advice and recommendations to Council on matters that relate to the committee’s mandate and responsibilities and to assist Council in achieving the city’s vision, goals and objectives.
To advise and make recommendations to Council on the policies, programs and services delivered by the Public Works and Engineering Department including matters relating to:
- Billy Bishop Airport
- Asset Management
- Corridor Control
- Development Servicing and Public Works
- Drainage and Stormwater Management
- Engineering Design and Construction
- Environmental Sustainability
- Fleet Acquisition, Operation and Maintenance
- On-street Parking
- Roads And Bridges
- Solid Waste Management and Landfills
- Street lighting
- Traffic Control
- Public Transit
- Water Treatment and Distribution
- Wastewater Collection and Treatment
- Provide advice and recommendations to Council considering plans and documents, staff reports, best practices and public feedback.
- Host meetings or open houses as directed by Council.
- Provide advice to Council on matters relating to the development, implementation and performance of work plans and programs for the department, as well as review and help prioritize the five-year capital budget.
- Oversee the implementation of the strategic plan as it relates to matters within the committee’s mandate.
- Hear appeals from members of the public related to decisions made and charges applied, including water and sewer charges, specialized transit eligibility, etc.
Key Reference Documents:
Statutes and regulations including:
- Bridges Act
- Canadian Air Regulations
- Clean Water Act, 2006
- Environmental Assessment Act
- Environment Protection Act
- Fisheries Act
- Green Energy Act
- Highway Traffic Act
- Migratory Birds Convention Act
- Municipal Act, 2001
- Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Public Service Works on Highways Act
- Public Transportation And Highway Improvement Act
- Road Access Act
- Safe Drinking Water Act
- Waste Diversion Act
And City guidance documents including
- Strategic Plan
- Official Plan
- Asset Management Plan
- Transportation Master Plan
- Environment Master Plan