It is the duty of Council to make the final decision on all matters that affect the City. The Community Services Committee’s role is to obtain public input and provide advice and recommendations to Council on matters that relate to the committee’s mandate and responsibilities, and to assist Council in achieving the City’s vision, goals and objectives.
To advise Council on the policies, programs and services delivered by the Community Services Department, including but not limited to matters related to:
- Provide recommendations and advice to Council considering City plans and documents, staff reports, best practices and public feedback.
- Host public meetings or open houses as directed by Council.
- Provide advice to Council on matters relating to the implementation of the Strategic Plan, specifically in the areas of Planning & Heritage, Building, Culture, Recreation, Parks, Facilities and Cemetery.
- Act as the Planning Advisory Committee (in accordance with the Planning Act, s. 8(1)) provide input or host public meetings or open houses on matters relating to a land use planning application, policy development or review under the Act.
- Act as the Municipal Heritage Committee under the Ontario Heritage Act and provide recommendations on Part IV, Conservation of Property of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest and Part V, Heritage Conservation Districts.
- Provide recommendations and advice to Council on the Official Plan, Zoning By-law, Community Improvement Plan and other Plans including the Downtown & Harbourfront Master Plan and Downtown River Precinct.
- Recommend approval of an annual work plan for staff that is consistent with the Strategic Plan and meets the objectives of the annual budget, as well as review and help prioritize the 5 year capital budget.
Key Reference Documents
- Municipal Act, 2001
- Planning Act
- Ontario Heritage Act
- Provincial Policy Statement
- Occupational Health & Safety Act
- Pesticides Act
- Funeral, Burial & Cremation Services Act, 2002
- Plant Protection Act
- Plant Diseases Act
- Owen Sound 2015 Strategic Plan
- Official Plan
- Downtown and Harbourfront Master Plan Strategy
- Recreation, Parks and Facility Master Plan and other Parks Master Plans and Trails Plan
- Tree Inventory and Emerald Ash Borer Management Plan
- Greenwood Cemetery Master Plan
- Cultural Master Plan
- Community Improvement Plan & associated guidelines and applications