Household Hazardous Waste
Rid you home of toxic chemicals without harming the environment!
This event is open to residents of the City of Owen Sound, the Township of Chatsworth, the Municipality of Meaford, the Township of Georgian Bluffs, Municipality of West Grey and the Municipality of Grey Highlands. Please bring identification indicating your home address.
We regret that we cannot accept any materials generated by businesses, farm operations, institutions or industries. Nor can we accept materials containing PCB's (e.g.: fluorescent light ballasts), infectious wastes (e.g.: old syringes), radioactive wastes (e.g.: smoke detectors), explosives, ammunition or flares. Nor can we accept unidentified wastes, so please make sure that everything you bring is in a container.
Household Hazardous Waste Schedule 2016
The City is prohibited by law from accepting hazardous waste at any other time.
OPEN 9:00 AM TO 2:00 PM ON THE FOLLOWING SATURDAYS:
- Saturday April 9, 2016
- Saturday May 7, 2016
- Saturday June 4, 2016
- Saturday July 9, 2016
- Saturday August 6, 2016
- Saturday September 10, 2016
- Saturday October 1, 2016
- Saturday October 15, 2016
In an effort to speed up the line at our HHW Events the City of Owen Sound has made the HHW form available on-line so that participants can print it off and fill it in BEFORE they get to the HHW Depot. Upon arrival to the HHW Depot participants will still need to show their photo identification to the attendant.
Owen Sound Public Works Building,
1900 20th Street East
In the Industrial Park,
9:00 am to 2:00 pm
Rain or Shine
Fryer Oil Now Accepted
Beginning on May 1st the City will accept up to 5 gallons of fryer oil from residents at the monthly HHW Depot. This program is not open to commercial enterprises.
- It has been brought to the attention of the City that residents have difficulty disposing of used fryer oil and in response the City has arranged to accept it at the Household Hazardous Waste Depot under the following conditions:
- The fryer oil must be liquid and does not include lard or grease.
- The fryer oil must be in a container that is clearly labelled as fryer or cooking oil.
- The fryer oil can only be delivered between 9:00 am and 2:00 pm on Household Hazardous Waste Days.
- The fryer oil must be from a residential source and not a restaurant or commercial enterprise.
- The City will accept no more than five gallons of fryer oil from any person on any Household Hazardous Waste Day.
- This program is also available to residents of participating municipalities.
- The City reserves the right to turn away residents once the fryer oil tank is full.