The Owen Sound Cultural Awards celebrate excellence in the arts, culture and heritage in the greater Owen Sound area. These awards serve to underline the importance of culture to Owen Sound residents, and to recognize groups and individuals for their outstanding achievement and contributions to the area’s cultural vitality.
The City of Owen Sound hosts an annual celebration where nominees are recognized for their contributions and an original work of art is given to the winner in each category.
Owen Sound Cultural Awards
Awards Ceremony and Celebration
The Bayshore Community Centre, February 14, 2016 at 2:00pm
Show your for culture! Everyone is welcome to attend this special celebration, featuring a special appearance by Owen Sound’s Poets Laureate Larry Jensen and Rob Rolfe, with music before and after the ceremony by Larry Jensen. Hosted by singer and radio personality Steve Ritchie. Come on out on Valentine’s Day to celebrate the achievements of local artists and supporters.
Cash bar. Light refreshments. Free admission.
Sponsor the Cultural Awards
Prestigious opportunity for any business. Associate your brand with Owen Sound’s brightest and most prominent artists and cultural groups. Boost your profile through your marketing in advance of and during the Cultural Awards event.
Download the form below and contact us today!
2016 Award Nominees and Winners
CULTURAL CATALYST - Awarded to Louise Jarvis
Presented by the Owen Sound Sun Times
- Will Henry
- Kee-May Ip
- Louise Jarvis
- Jon Mulder - Galaxy Cinemas
CULTURAL HERITAGE - Awarded to George Auer and Harmony Centre
Presented by The Alliance of Kirby, Robinson, Treslan, and Brian Barrie, Barristers and Solicitors
- George Auer
- Aly Boltman
- Harmony Centre Owen Sound
- Owen Sound Farmers Market
EMERGING ARTIST - Awarded to Nolan Murphy
Presented by Investors Group Owen Sound
- Stella Coultas
- Ron Crawford
- Levi Dow
- Kyle Haight
- Nolan Murphy
OUTSTANDING EVENT - Awarded to Pratiue Oaten
- Ginger Press - Andrew Armitage book launch
- Grey Bruce One World Festival
- Grey Roots - Pratie Oaten
- James Sebesta career retrospective
- Noon Hour Concert Series
- YMCA Peace Medallion Program
OUTSTANDING GROUP - Awared to Owen Sound Artists' Co-op
- M'Wikwedong Native Cultural Resource Centre
- Owen Sound Art Banner Society
- Owen Sound Artists' Co-operative
OUTSTANDING INDIVIDUAL - Awarded to Bill Murphy
- Bobby Dean Blackburn
- Norman Broomfield
- Chris Jackson
- Bryan Leckie
- Kate McLaren
- Angola Murdoch
- Bill Murphy
LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT - Awarded to Alfie Fromager
Presented by Bayshore Broadcasting
Congratulations to all nominees and winners!
For more information, contact Doug Cleverley, Event Facilitator at 519-376-4440 ext. 1251 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Emerging Artist: Open to aspiring artists of any age in any discipline, whose work is of a professional standard. Individuals only. Includes $500 cash prize. Presented by Investors Group Owen Sound
- Outstanding Group: Recognizes incorporated organizations, institutions and collectives for outstanding achievement in any of the fields of Literary, Visual, Media, Multi, and Performing Arts. May be for an ongoing activity or a new venture which has greatly enhanced the community’s artistic vibrancy.
- Outstanding Individual: Recognizes individual achievement in any area of creative expression including Literary Arts, Visual Arts, Media Arts, Multi Arts, Dance, Theatre, and Music
- Outstanding Event: This award recognizes single-day public events (concerts, other live performance productions) for their outstanding accomplishment and service in the field of event production. Criteria include:
- Overall contributions to the field of event production;
- Professionalism and quality of presentation;
- Impact of the event including attendance, community benefits, quality of programming and potential legacy;
- How well the event met its objectives;
- Entries must outline the conception, development and execution of the event.
City of Owen Sound events are excluded from eligibility for this award.
- Outstanding Festival: same as above, but for festivals and other events with duration of 2 or more days.
- Cultural Catalyst: Open to any individual or corporate entity deemed to have made a significant and lasting contribution to the arts or heritage. Nominees may include volunteers, donors, sponsors, educators, innovative producers, etc.
With the exception of recovering expenses, the volunteer does not receive any payment or honorarium for their involvement. Formerly Patron and Volunteer Service awards.
Presented by The Owen Sound Sun Times.
- Cultural Heritage: Recognizes contributions to our tangible and intangible cultural heritage, including, but not limited to, restoration or adaptive re-use of historic structures; heritage displays, exhibits, installations, education, public services; the keeping and passing on of traditional songs, stories and dance; traditional craftsmanship; literary works featuring historic themes or promoting heritage; heritage festivals and events; etc. Presented by The Alliance of Kirby, Robinson, Treslan, and Brian Barrie, Barristers and Solicitors
- Lifetime Achievement: Recognizes individual contributions that have had a significant and lasting impact on local arts, cultural organizations, and the community as a whole. This award is appointed by an awards subcommittee or jury. Nominations are not accepted in this category, but suggestions may be emailed to email@example.com.
Presented by Mix 106.5.