Since 1989 the City of Owen Sound has been providing residents with a door-to-door transportation service through the operation of the MobilityTransit Service. This service is specifically designed for residents of the City with physical mobility limitations that restrict their ability to use the City’s conventional public transit system.
The service’s wheelchair accessible bus operates between 6:30am and 6:00pm Monday through Friday, and on Saturday between 9:00am and 4:00pm.
There is no service available on Sundays or holidays.
To be able to use this service an Application Form must be completed and submitted to the City for approval. Once approved the applicant is issued an Owen Sound MobilityTransit Card and Identification Number which is used when booking the door-to-door transit service. Approval to use the service must be renewed every three (3) years.
Who Should Apply?
MobilityTransit service is intended for those persons who, due to a functional limitation, cannot board, ride, or disembark from City of Owen Sound’s Accessible Conventional Fixed-Route System. The criteria are:
- The inability to walk one City Block or to the nearest bus stop from their home or place of residence for either the initial or return trip (400m) and/or
- Insufficient endurance or stamina to tolerate a bus ride with multiple stops and/or transfers and/or
- Insufficient cognitive ability to understand the accessible conventional transit system and/or manage transfers and/or
- Disorientation to environment thereby inhibiting safe and independent use of accessible conventional transit.
Categories of Approvals
There are three categories of eligibility for which the applicant can apply for; those being:
- Unconditional - A person with a disability that prevents them from using the accessible conventional transportation services
- Temporary - A person with a temporary disability that prevents them from using the accessible conventional transportation services
- Conditional - A person with a disability where environmental or physical barriers limit their abilities to consistently use conventional transportation services such as persons with a visual disability, persons who use canes, crutches, walkers etc. as winter conditions (October 15th to April 30th) such as ice and snow prevents the safe usage of the mobility equipment, or persons with disabilities that may have periods when their condition worsens.
The cost per trip (one way) to use the Specialized Transit service is $3.00 per rider cash fare. Monthly passes are also available for purchase from the Owen Sound City Hall and Owen Sound and North Grey Union Public Library. Monthly passes can now be used for mobility transit.
The MobilityTransit Service is operated by First Student Canada to book the MobilityTransit bus, registered clients phone 519-376-7500. It is requested that appointments be booked at least one or two days in advance if possible. Bookings can be made up to two weeks in advance.
For further information or to obtain a copy of the Application Form by mail please contact:
City of Owen Sound – Transit Division
808 2nd Avenue East
Owen Sound, ON N4K 2H4
519-376-4274 ext. 3233
519-376-7500 Mobility Transit Line
519-376-3299 Conventional Transit Line