The Building Division is responsible for ensuring all construction in the City meets required standards for structure, fire and life safety, and land use. This responsibility rests primarily with the Chief Building Official, often called the CBO, and sometimes referred to as the Building Inspector. Construction standards and other requirements are set out in provincial statutes and regulations such as the Ontario Building Code, and municipal by-laws such as the Building By-law and Zoning By-law
The process which ensures this mandate is achieved is through the issuance of Building Permits and the subsequent required inspections. The CBO is empowered to stop construction work where there is non-compliance with the Building Code or municipal by-laws.
To obtain a Building Permit for a project which does not comply with the City of Owen Sound Zoning By-Law, a minor variance is necessary; please contact the Planning Division.
Building Permit Application
– click on the link to open a pdf version of the application where indicated:
- Building Permit Application [PDF]- to authorize construction on or demolition of a building or plumbing as defined by Section 1 of the Building Code Act
- Tent Permit Application
- Building Permit Application Info [PDF] - for more information on applying for a Building or Plumbing Permit.
- Demolition Permit Application Information for more information on applying for a Demolition Permit
- Change in Use Permit – to authorize a change in use resulting in the increase in hazard required under Section 10(1) and as defined in the Building Code Act (see the Chief Building Official for an application for this permit)
- Building Permit Fees – building, plumbing and demolition permit fees, plus development charges
- Building Permit FAQ - Frequently asked questions.
- Engineering Service Application Form [PDF]
- Letter of Undertaking [PDF] – one signed copy is required
- General Review Commitment Certificate [PDF] – one signed copy for each separate firm assuming responsibility for the various disciplines