The City’s Accessibility Advisory Committee was established in 2003 under the Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2001. The Act requires that the majority of persons on the Committee be persons with disabilities.
To make recommendations to City Council considering the needs and rights of persons with disabilities and assure maximum integrated accessibility for all citizens.
Terms of Reference
- Advise Council in each year about the preparation, implementation and effectiveness of its accessibility plan.
- Provide advice on the accessibility for persons with disabilities to a building, structure or premises:
- purchased, constructed or renovated by the City
- to be considered new lease
- provided as a municipal capital facility under an agreement in accordance with the Municipal Act.
- Review in a timely manner the site plans and drawings described under Section 41 of the Planning Act.
- Support the implementation of related initiatives and actions within the City’s Strategic Plan.
- Perform any other functions required by the Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2001, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, or associated regulations.
- Address public issues and concerns regarding degrees of accessibility.
Regular Committee meetings are held on the last Monday of every month at 1:00 p.m. in the lower boardroom at City Hall. The Committee welcomes any person who wishes to attend and participate in the Committee meetings.
The Committee welcomes input from the community in this very important work. Please feel free to email the Committee with any issues, concerns or comments with regard to accessibility within the City.
For More Information…
Please direct inquiries about the Accessibility Advisory Committee to:
Accessibility Advisory Committee: Email
Pam Coulter, Director of Community Services, 519-376-4440 x.1252
For more information on relevant provincial policy and legislation, please see External Resources.